Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Jog to Remember

I went on a run at 6:15 this morning, a mere 5 hours after I went to bed.  I’m a bit hazy because of the lack of sleep, but it felt so good to get up early instead of sleeping in.  The mornings are peaceful, crisp, and all mine.  My run started by a large stone bridge that was lit up from beneath so it cast these huge arching glows on the water.  The sky was a dark, pre-sunrise gray-blue.  I didn’t see anyone for the first two miles of my run except for the owner of a little café who was just closing up for the night (at the time, I couldn’t tell if he was opening or closing, but when I returned he was locking up and leaving).  Then… MAGICALLY, I saw two other runners in the distance.  Except they were wearing long sleeves and long pants and that seemed like overkill for the weather… and then I realized that it was two 20-something guys in full suits (including coat and tie) jogging home after a long night out.  Yep, it was a Jog of Shame, Madrid style.  Sort of funny.  On my way back as it approached 7 AM I saw a few bikers and then, in the last quarter mile, I finally saw another runner.  He looked foreign, too, and we shared a little smile.  Just us, waking up as the Friday night party stopped to make Madrid the home-away-from-home version of the city that never sleeps.


Spotted: broken windows on the outside of the Vincent Calderon Soccer Stadium.  The whole exterior is blue glass panes.  A few were jagged... I guess they had a bad game recently.
A few (stolen) photos of the stadium... look for the path by the river where I was running! (see that little itty bitty tan-colored line?)  Note: I know it is obvious I stole these photos because I can't fly, but bear with me.













2 comments:

Matt M said...

Sick photo of The Swimmer. Best. +10 Picasso.

Matt M said...

LOL WAIT WRONG POST.