Friday, May 25, 2012

Vamos a La Playa

This morning, work started bright and early with an 8:15 AM talk from a visiting speaker: Dr. Ajay Chawla of UCSF.
The talk covered several topics on the latest and greatest in cardiovascular research, which in I'm-flying-11-hours-to-give-a-talk terms means cram all the data from your last 5-7 years of prestigious papers in Nature and Science into a 1.5 hour talk. Keep in mind that these talks aren't supposed to go over an hour at all, the talk was in a special room with plush seats and dim lights, and it was a Friday, and you get the picture.  Plus, the talk was in English, which was great for me but a struggle for the assembled Spaniards.  I was impressed when people asked questions, but I later found out that the department chair had been studying this guy's papers all week and the other two men always ask exactly the same question: Why doesn't a particular drug work? and How can this have clinical applications?

After the talk, I accompanied Ignasi and a few other lab members to "la hora de cafe," which is Coffee Hour but so much more.  Coffee is a language here, and a very social thing.  After I said, "I don't do caffeine," Ignasi shook his head and said, "Living, breathing - those you can do without.  But coffee?"

Today was also a day of many firsts:
- Frustrated that I couldn't find the elusive M Eugene article yesterday, I clicked on a link created specifically for frustrated Yalies that says "Put in a Request" but secretly means, "We spoil you, so you just rest your weary research head and let us do the rest."  This morning, delivered to my inbox, was the article that I had searched endlessly for yesterday.  While I realized after about 10 minutes yesterday that the article was in French, I nonetheless continued to search, and the language barrier did not dampen my sentiments of victory and eternal glory this morning.  Needless to say, I still haven't read it, but Sergio has offered to help me if I try.
- Something that I had was called "Que chulo" by the ever fabulous Nadia (Note: When Nadia was looking up celebrity gossip after lunch, we even realized she was wearing the same pants as the latest hot Spanish celebrity.  Que chulo, Nadia.)  Que chulo is basically a way of saying how cool something is/looks.  For me, it was my nerdy colorful keyboard stickers that are actually Gmail shortcuts.  Nerds for the win!
- I discovered that Nestle is making a limited edition run of Girl Scout cookie ice cream bars.  OMNOMNOMNOMNOM


Not so first time:
- I have been starting to think about where I want to go during my last week and a half in Spain after I finish work.  However, for the first time, I had the help of all my eager, Spanish labmates.  Nobody really felt like work after the morning lecture, so we all decompressed a bit and they told me all the lovely places that I should go.  It currently looks like the train and I will be best friends, and I'm going to some of the most beautiful places in the world.  Not that I'm forgetting that I'm already in one.  I plan to hit up some serious Gaudi masterpieces this weekend, and the experience will probably be a bit like THIS.

After work, I wandered around the neighborhood and spotted a tiny pop-up craft market.  It featured wonderful puppets
fans
and wonderful ceramics that I absolutely fell in love with.


Then I met up with Naaman to go to the beach.  On the way we passed on of my favorite statues that I see when I run by the water:

We arrived at the beach at about 7 pm, which is late enough that most of the tourists were gone and it wasn't too hot.  It was the perfect way to unwind after a long first week and read a bit in the sun.



And finally, a shout out to Peggy Moore, my wonderful mother, who has graduated to technological capability today with her first ever Skype call.  Snaps for Mom!

Pro Spain tip: When on an escalator, always stay on the right hand side.  The left is for people passing, and for silly tourists who don't know what they're doing.

Spotted: Several members of my lab carrying toothbrushes and toothpaste after lunch.  They take their dental hygiene seriously in Spain.

No comments: