Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Welcome to Barcelona!

Welcome to Barcelona!  In the three hours or so since I left the airport, I have had the pleasure of doing the following:
(1) Riding the stylishly colored Aerobus

(2) Getting very confused by the taxi system.  Apparently here, there are so many taxis that they line up for people instead of the other way around.  This occurs at various points throughout the city, and you must take the first taxi in line.  Nobody else will open there doors to you.
(3) Having my taxi driver save me money by dropping me off at the nearest corner (100 feet from my apartment) instead of looping the extra half mile around on one-way streets to drop me right at the door.  Thank you, kind taxi man!
(4) Moving into my apartment.  It's on the most adorable street in the world.  Adorable implies both small and cute, and my apartment is likewise both.  Shout out to Peggy Moore for the cooking supplies tip (the spices, measuring spoons, chef's knife, and Snapware will all be put to good use, and I would probably be tearing out my hair if I hadn't brought them).  Also brilliant is the fact that even though it's written that I'm on floor 1, I'm actually on the third floor of the building, so no creepers will be crawling in my window.  Bonus points.
(5) Using my Spanish confidently to rescue people from their terrible English.  Very, very satisfying.  Then again, I don't speak any Catalan so I'm asking people to use their third language by using English.  So instead, we compromise on the second language for both of us.

Questions for the peanut gallery:
- Do apartments in Barcelona/Europe have something against dressers/plentiful shelving or is it just here? (Mom, you will be happy to note that they provided about 15 hangers)
- Is everyone just nicer here or have I narrowly avoided the fate of the girls in Taken?

No comments: